SHORT WAVES: STORIES SHAPING OUR COMMUNITY
Asian Pacific Americans have long been making waves in all aspects of American life, but their stories have often been lost in general U.S. discourse. “Short Waves: Stories Shaping Our Community,” hopes to bring light to these stories through locally made, community driven short films about the Asian American experience and community.
OPEN CALL: Seeking people with stories to share through film. It's easy; get your camera or smartphone, click record, tell your story in 5 minutes or less, and submit it to our program.
No prior experience needed! We want everyone to have the opportunity to tell their story and share it on the big screen to share with the community.
Here are some sample topics:
- What Asian American issue are you most passionate about?
- Tell us about someone who has helped shaped your identity as an Asian American. (role model)
- What is a pressing issue that affects your Asian American community and how that affects you?
- How do you personally define your Asian American identity?
- How do you celebrate your Asian American identity? (family gatherings and rituals, etc.)
Submission must be:
Up to 5-minute video to share your story about your Asian American life or community based on a personal experience.
Anyone can participate in this competition. There is no fee to submit.
Judges will vote for the four finalists, then public online voting begins 1 week prior to event.
Short Waves winner benefits include:
- Sharing your story with the community
- Automatic acceptance into the upcoming BAAFF
- Network with other featured filmmakers & participate in Q&As
- 2017 VIP Festival Pass
FREE SCREENING: Wednesday, May 31, 6:30PM
Tufts Medical Center Wolff Auditorium (Lower Level)
800 Washington St. Boston, MA (T: Orange Line)
Winner will be announced during this event. Light dinner will be provided.
2016 Short Waves Winner:
"Unspoken" Directed by Amanda Huang »
This film speaks volumes about the harmful impact of stereotypes on the conversation surrounding Asian-American mental health. Director Amanda Huang uses personal narrative to bring this issue to light and expand this conversation.
2015 Short Waves Winner:
"Closeness" Directed by Thuan Hien »
2014 Short Waves Winner:
"Who I really am..." Directed by Jose Soto »
2013 Short Waves Winner:
"Color Theory" Directed by Minhae Shim »
2012 Short Waves Winner:
"My 2009 Experience" Directed by Henry Ho »
2011 Short Waves Winner:
"Wear I Fit" Directed by Pratna Kem »