2016 6th Annual Short Waves
Short Waves: Stories Shaping Our Community
Asian Pacific Americans have long been making waves in all aspects of American life, but their stories have often been lost in general U.S. discourse. “Short Waves: Stories Shaping Our Community,” hopes to bring light to these stories through locally made, community driven short films about the Asian American experience and community.
Here are some sample topics:
- What Asian American issue are you most passionate about?
- Tell us about someone who has helped shaped your identity as an Asian American. (role model)
- What is a pressing issue that affects your Asian American community and how that affects you?
- How do you personally define your Asian American identity?
- How do you celebrate your Asian American identity? (family gatherings and rituals, etc.)
Submission must be:
Up to 5-minute video to share your story about your Asian American life or community based on a personal experience.
Anyone can participate in this competition. There is no fee to submit.
Sunday, May 1st, 11:59PM
Short Waves winner benefits include:
- Sharing your story with the community
- Automatic acceptance into the upcoming BAAFF
- Experience as a filmmaker and participate in Q&As
- 2016 VIP Festival Pass
FREE SCREENING: Wednesday, May 25, 6:30PM
Tufts Medical Center Wolff Auditorium (Lower Level)
800 Washington St. Boston, MA (T: Orange Line)
Winner will be announced during this event.
2015 Short Waves Winner:
"Closeness" Directed by Thuan Hien
As the winner of Short Waves, Thuan Hien receives automatic acceptance into the upcoming Boston Asian American Film Festival. His film is a short documentary explores the interconnectedness and complexity of his 'mother and son' relationship. That closeness has nothing to do with distance and the one thing that binds them is a shared refugee experience. As filmmaker Hien quotes, "It is important that these stories of the Vietnamese refugee people do not die and go unheard; their legacy must be heard."
2014 Short Waves Winner:
"Who I really am..." Directed by Jose Soto »
2013 Short Waves Winner:
"Color Theory" Directed by Minhae Shim »
2012 Short Waves Winner:
"My 2009 Experience" Directed by Henry Ho »
2011 Short Waves Winner:
"Wear I Fit" Directed by Pratna Kem »
Short Waves in the Press:
Sampan Newspaper: http://sampan.org/2015/06/short-waves-screens-asian-american-experience-in-short-films/